Friday, April 3, 2009

Burglars are stupid.

UPDATE: See today's post!

They tried for the hat trick yesterday. Third time in three weeks, second time this week.

Please note that I said tried.

The guy walked up the alley, checked out the houses. That's what my back neighbor said - she saw him. (Sweet little old lady, love her to death.)

He walked up, saw the window was open.

Walked around the front of my house, saw there was no car there.

Walked around the side of the house, hopped in through the (conveniently) open back bedroom window.

Opened up the bedroom door, took a couple steps into the hallway.

And then he shit himself, because I was home. I'd parked my car in that sweet little old lady's driveway.

And I was armed.

And I kicked open the door to the second bedroom, and pulled a Mosin-Nagant M44, with bayonet fixed, to my shoulder, yelling 'FREEZE, MOTHERFUCKER!'

Unfortunately, his reactions were quicker than I had expected, given the circumstances. Before I could get the rifle up, he had turned around and was in the bedroom again, making a dive for the window. I had the shot on his back, but I couldn't take it, not in California. I'd have been looking at murder one.

God DAMNIT I hate California.

If I'd waited another 15 seconds before jumping him, he'd have been in the living room, with no way out except through my bayonet or by messing with deadbolts, and I'd have been on him then. Surrender or die, then. If he went for the door, I'd have had time for a buttstroke to the head, or a bayonet in the kidneys.

As it was, he made it out of the house, and last I saw he was running down the alley. Goddamn, I've never seen a fatboy run and jump like that. He could have made the Olympic team!

Cops looked, but didn't find him. There's only two officers on shift at any given time.


UPDATE: The description (shortish, fattish, Mexican, no facial hair or visible tattoos) got passed around to the neighbors. One of them reported him scoping out houses in the alley behind her house this morning. Cops were scrambled, but didn't find him. Odd how that description blends in pretty well to the background in California.

UPDATE II: The landlord is pretty definitively clear on this one. It turns out there's been a chain of burglaries happening all over this part of town. There's been 5 or 6 in the past couple weeks, all within 2 - 3 blocks of where I live.

6 comments:

  1. MissBirdlegs in ALApril 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM

    You need to move to AL! Sorry you couldn't take the shot, and sorry about your troubles. Bet he'll think twice about hittin' your place again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't HAVE to take a shot. Even if your shooting is criminally clean, the chances of civil court action are high. And a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Miss Birdlegs!


    Hey Xbradtc! I love your work. Seems from some cues I've picked up in your writing that you might be living pretty close to the Washington Ave exit, in an area with the initials 'BD?' If that's the same one I'm thinking of, I'll buy you a beer next time I visit my in-laws. They live off the Monterey Ave exit.

    If not, well ... thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sierra Hotel, Rusty!

    I know what that's like - I used to live at a storage facility with the manager. The office was broken into three times in two weeks. The office was next to our apartment in the building.

    We slept through the first two as they were able to break a thin glass door which breaks like car glass. Oh yeah, the alarm didn't go off either.

    We heard 'em the third time. By the time I got to the glass door on the front of our apartment, they were already running away.

    They should be glad they didn't try the apartment - they would have met my M44 (love that gun!), AK, 91/30, M95, K31, and 9mm pistol. Yes, after the first two incidents they were all loaded and all but the 9mm ank K31 had fixed bayonets.

    Once again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rusty, I'd tell the wife she can wait to get her throat cut, or move to the great South, where we believe a mans home is his castle, and has the right to defend it with deadly force.

    True story: about 10 years ago, there was a grocery store owner who got robbed twice in one month. Goes out and gets a 9mm, gets a CCW license, does the range time. Kept the gun under the counter. Lo and behold, he gets robbed again. He SMILES as he hands the guy the cash, and as the thief eases out the door, Mr. Grocer puts 9 rounds in the guys back.

    Didn't even make it past the grand jury. Mr. Grocer spent an easy night in a private cell eating food the cops brought in. And you wonder why I call this Gods country? ;)

    Byron

    ReplyDelete
  6. God. I miss Jacksonville, Byron. I really do. Never mind just the better attitude about criminals ... the sun should always come -up- over the ocean, when you're standing on land.

    thanks for stopping in!

    You too, Parrot Head! Next time, I think it's going to be the 10/22. I know it doesn't have any real stopping power, but ... it's also not going to go through the next three houses down the road. :P

    ReplyDelete